Thursday, June 16, 2011

Missing parts

A few weeks back, we were getting ready for the Fragile - but not broken -  X walk.  While the rain was pouring down outside, my daughter asked "Mom, can they put the missing parts back in?" Even though she didn't say it, I swear her next words were "so I can be like the other kids".  I was completely speechless, and that is rare.  We weren't really discussing Fragile X, but she knew what we are getting ready for, and she obviously was thinking about it.  I can't say that I ever really discussed it with her, other than saying that God made her a little differently.  Obviously she has been listening in to my conversations with others when I describe Fragile X.  This is the girl who gets zeros on all her report cards - below grade level. Maybe on letters and numbers, but I swear she can read minds.

The next monday morning, on the way to school, she said she wanted to be a doctor.  Well I asked her what kind, because unlike most kids, she has seen many varieties. She said she wanted to help people.  Speechless again.  My unspoken response to her question before, you see, was that doctors are working on it - because they want to help people like her.  How many pieces can a heart break into?

While I carry this hope around with me, I do not want to tell her.  I want her to accept who she is and not be relying on a Dr's future fix. It is hard enough just being a kid today.

By the time the walk started, the rain had stopped, the sun was shining and it was wonderful to see all the people who came out to support these kids.  And snaps to everyone who put the walk together.  Thank you to everyone for your support and your efforts.    

No comments:

Post a Comment