Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Heaven?

I was enjoying the company of friends the other night and the conversation turned to heaven.  We all assumed there was one, so we were wondering what heaven would be like?  It didn't occur to me at the moment, but we all assumed we would be going there too. I hope we weren't presuming too much.

One particular friend has children with developmental issues, and his view of heaven was getting to meet his kids without their genetic flaws, and knowing them how they were supposed to be.  My first response was they are already perfect in God's eyes. I hate the "what if" or "only if" or "this is how it should be" thinking that always leads you down a dead end. I have not stopped thinking about this though.  They are perfect to God - but is it God's heaven or our own?  Wouldn't heaven be our own heaven?  Is heaven where we find happiness? Total bliss? Are we at our best physically?  Mentally? Do we get to meet our parents at the prime of their life? Our grandparents?  Can we meet Michelangelo or Abraham Lincoln? Do we play the piano perfectly? What about tennis? God never intended this for us - but wouldn't that be heaven?  What is heaven? Too many question marks.

One more. . . .

Do I really believe?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not convinced they're perfect in God's eyes. Nor am I convinced that I'm perfect in God's eyes. The reality of a "fallen" world leads me to view evil/suffering as a negation. Make no mistake, Fragile X is evil. Those afflicted are NOT evil, but the disorder itself must be classified as such. God did not intend for the created order to be this way. Nor did he intend for our boys to be afflicted with Fragile X. If he did, that's pretty jacked up! I have to believe that someday all of this corruption will cease to be. I and my children will be as God intended us to be and all of creation will cry HALLELUJAH! I pray without ceasing for that day to take place.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, God never intended Fragile X for our kids, just like he never intended for a tornado to destroy a friends home or for one of my 21 year old students to die of a heart attack the morning of class. He just allows it to happen. Maybe my friend was right and heaven is the place where God sets it all straight.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete